Speaker Series on Indigenous Issues and Initiatives
OUR NEXT SPEAKER
Rebekah Wilson, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Building First Nations/Municipal Partnerships:
The Community Infrastructure Partnership Project &
Community Economic Development Initiative
Monday, November 20, 2017
12:30 - 2:00 pm
Together with Patterson Creek Consulting and Canada's Public Policy Forum, Stratéjuste holds a monthly speaker series devoted to emerging policy issues affecting First Nation, Métis, Inuit and urban indigenous people in Canada.
Sessions take place at the Public Policy Forum offices at Suite 1400, 130 Albert Street in Ottawa. Speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and institutions, including indigenous, academic, government and not-for-profit organizations. Presentations are followed by informal Q and A sessions allowing for in-depth discussion.
Attendance is free of charge but space is limited. Please contact us if you'd like to attend this session or future sessions.
- Jonathan Dewar, PhD, Promoting Reconciliation through Indigenous Arts and Curatorial Practices. Oct 11, 2017.
- Terry Goodtrack, AFOA Canada: Its Work, Contributions, and Future Goals. June 14, 2017.
- Christopher Duschenes, Conference Board of Canada. Resource Revenue Sharing between the Crown and Remote First Nations in Canada. April 18, 2017.
- Shannin Metatawabin, National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Assoc. Aboriginal Financial Institutions: An Untold Success Story. Mar 23, 2017.
- Jerry Lanouette, First Nations Information Governance Centre. Understanding the Fundamentals of OCAP®. Feb 28, 2017.
- Daniel Brant, Daniel J. Brant and Associates. Is There Really a Difference in First Nations Governance? Jan 26, 2017.
- Robert Louie and Chief Austin Bear, First Nations Lands Advisory Board. The Framework Agreement on First Nations Land Management. Dec 21, 2016.
- E.J. Allard-Coté, S. Bradford, and L. Durocher, University of Ottawa. Indigenous Health Policy in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. Dec 2, 2016.
- Nicholas Pope and Jenna Smith-Kouassi, University of Ottawa, Health Coverage for Registered First Nations and Inuit in Canada. Dec 2, 2016.
- Heather Hudson, University of Alaska Anchorage. Broadband for All in the North? A Comparative Analysis of Alaska and Northern Canada. Nov 4, 2016.
- Ravi Pendakur, University of Ottawa. Socio-Economic Impacts of Modern Treaty, Self-Government, and other Agreements, 1991-2011. Oct 21, 2016.
- Katie Wood and Kyla Marcoux, First Nations Information Governance Centre. Key National Findings from the FNREEES. Sept 15, 2016.
- Tim Whiteduck and Susan O'Donnell, First Mile Connectivity Consortium. The First Mile Connectivity Consortium. May 16, 2016.
- Daniel Poulin, Legal Counsel, Canadian Human Rights Commission. The First Nations Child Welfare Case. April 29, 2016.
- C.T. (Manny) Jules, Chief Commissioner, First Nations Tax Commission. Fashioning a New Fiscal Relationship: The Importance of Taxation. Mar 23, 2016.
- Natan Obed, President, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Addressing Food Security for Inuit/What Does it Mean to Engage with Inuit? Feb 9, 2016.
- Brenda MacDougall, University of Ottawa. Politicization of Métis Buffalo Hunters: Writing Petitions in the Late 19th Century. Jan 21, 2016.
- Mike Degagne, President, Nipissing University. Aboriginal Post-Secondary Education: A Critical Look at Recommendations of the TRC. Nov 20, 2015.
- Chris Penney, AANDC. The Community Well-Being Index: Report on Trends in First Nation and Inuit Communities, 1981-2011. Oct 21, 2015.
- Maryanne Pearce, PhD. Quantifying Tears: Documenting Cases of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada. Sept 15, 2015.
- Ryan Walker and Loleen Berdahl, University of Saskatchewan. Exploring Indigenous Urbanism in Canadian Cities. June 3, 2015.
- Jason Leblanc, Executive Director, Tungasuvvingat Inuit. Inuit in Ontario and Tungasuvvingat Inuit. May 22, 2015.
- Tim Brodhead, Canadians for a New Partnership. How Can We Better Include First Nations, Métis and Inuit in the Canadian Family? Apr 21, 2015.
- Christopher Alcantara, Wilfrid Laurier University. Coordinating Communities: Indigenous-Local Intergovernmental Partnerships in Canada. Feb 12, 2015.
- Karihwakeron Tim Thompson, First Nations Educator and Policy Advisor. First Nations Education and the Reconciliation Imperative. Jan 15, 2015.
- Harvey McCue (Waubageshig), First Nations Educator and Policy Consultant. A Call to Action: Potential Solutions in First Nations Education. Dec 4, 2014.
- Andrew Beynon, Community Opportunities Branch, AANDC. Recent Developments in Community Economic Development. Nov 19, 2014.
- Betty Ann Lavallée, National Chief, Congress of Aboriginal Peoples. Canada's Challenges: Indigenous Solutions. Nov 4, 2014.
- Dal Brodhead, New Economy Development Group. First Nations and Resource Projects: Invest in Relationships, Or Else. Sept 29, 2014
- Chief Robert Joseph, Reconciliation Canada. Reconciliation: Why Should Canadians Care? June 20, 2014.
- Monette Maillet and Valerie Phillips, Canadian Human Rights Commission. Human Rights and Aboriginal Peoples: A Case for Engagement. May 26, 2014.
- Tim Leonard, Statistics Canada. The 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey: Initial Findings. April 10, 2014.
For a list of sessions and presentations prior to April 2014, please contact the organizers.