Speaker Series on Indigenous Issues and Initiatives
OUR NEXT SPEAKER
Tim Leonard, Senior Research Manager
Indigenous Services Canada
Measuring the Socio-Economic Gap between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Communities over 35 Years: The Community Well-Being Index 1981 to 2016
Wednesday, Sept 25, 2019
12:30 - 2:00 pm
Together with Canada's Public Policy Forum, Stratéjuste holds a speaker series devoted to emerging policy issues that affect First Nation, Métis, Inuit, and urban Indigenous people in Canada.
Sessions take place at the Public Policy Forum offices at # 1400 - 130 Albert Street in Ottawa. Speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and institutions, including Indigenous, academic, government and not-for-profit organizations. Presentations are followed by informal Q & A sessions allowing for in-depth discussion.
Attendance is free of charge but space is limited. Please contact us if you'd like to attend this session or future sessions.
- Tim Leonard, Senior Research Manager, Indigenous Services Canada. The Community Well-Being Index 2016. Sept 25, 2019.
- Christine Hall, Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada. Who can be registered under the Indian Act? Bill S-3. June 26, 2019.
- Anne Scotton, Indigenous Services Canada. Renewing the Crown-Indigenous Relationship through Service in Northern Ontario. May 27, 2019.
- Samantha Michaels, Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada. Priority Issues Impacting Inuit Women and Girls. Apr 25, 2019.
- Paul DeVillers, Board Chair, Métis Voyageur Development Fund. Supporting Ontario Métis Entrepreneurs, Feb 25, 2019.
- N Tainsh, J Pichard, D Taylor, J Iasenza and M Yaqoob, U of Ottawa. Indigenous Justice Programs not funded by IJP, Jan 21, 2019
- Emily Simmons & Jonathan Gendron-Rossignol, U of Ottawa. Indigenous Justice Programming in Australia and New Zealand, Jan 21, 2019.
- Peg Herbert, Executive Director, Help Lesotho. Building Resilience among Vulnerable Populations in Rural Africa. Nov 22, 2018.
- John Moses, Canadian Museum of History. "This is not my story, but yours..." The Russ Moses residential school memoir. June 29, 2018.
- Jennifer St. Germain, Chief Strategy Officer, Métis Nation of Ontario. Rights, Recognition, and Responsibility. June 6, 2018.
- Christopher Cornish, Executive Director, Ring of Fire, Indigenous Services Canada. The Community Well-Being Pilot Project. May 7, 2018.
- Bob Craftchick, Christine Leduc, Kathleen McFadden, Forest Tenure Oversight Group. From Division to Consensus on Ontario's Forests. Mar 14, 2018.
- Nora Murdock, Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre. The Manitoba First Nations School System. Feb 22, 2018.
- Chris Andersen, University of Alberta. Mixed Messages: How the Canada Census Measures the Métis Population and Why It Matters. Jan 31, 2018.
- Diana Kwan and Stefan Matiation, Justice Canada. The Principles Respecting Canada's Relationship with Indigenous Peoples. Dec 6, 2017.
- Rebekah Wilson, Federation of Canadian Municipalities. Building Indigenous/Municipal Partnerships. Nov 20, 2017.
- Jonathan Dewar, PhD, Promoting Reconciliation through Indigenous Arts and Curatorial Practices. Oct 11, 2017.
- Terry Goodtrack, President and CEO, AFOA Canada. AFOA Canada: Its Work, Contributions, and Future Goals. June 14, 2017.
- Chris Duschenes, Conference Board of Canada. Resource Revenue Sharing between the Crown and Remote First Nations in Canada. Apr 18, 2017.
- Shannin Metatawabin, CEO, National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Assoc. Aboriginal Financial Institutions: An Untold Success Story. Mar 23, 2017.
- Jerry Lanouette, CEO, First Nations Information Governance Centre. Understanding the Fundamentals of OCAP®. Feb 28, 2017.
- Daniel Brant, Daniel J. Brant and Associates. Is There Really a Difference in First Nations Governance? Jan 26, 2017.
- Robert Louie, Chief Austin Bear, First Nations Lands Advisory Board. The Framework Agreement on First Nations Land Management. Dec 21, 2016.
- E.J. Allard-Coté, S. Bradford, and L. Durocher, University of Ottawa. Indigenous Health Policy in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. Dec 2, 2016.
- Nicholas Pope and Jenna Smith-Kouassi, University of Ottawa, Health Coverage for Registered First Nations and Inuit in Canada. Dec 2, 2016.
- Heather Hudson, University of Alaska. Broadband for All in the North? A Comparative Analysis of Alaska and Northern Canada. Nov 4, 2016.
- Ravi Pendakur, University of Ottawa. Socio-Economic Impacts of Modern Treaty, Self-Government, and other Agreements, 1991-2011. Oct 21, 2016.
- Katie Wood and Kyla Marcoux, First Nations Information Governance Centre. Key National Findings from the FNREEES. Sept 15, 2016.
- Tim Whiteduck and Susan O'Donnell, First Mile Connectivity Consortium. The First Mile Connectivity Consortium. May 16, 2016.
- Daniel Poulin, Legal Counsel, Canadian Human Rights Commission. The First Nations Child Welfare Case. April 29, 2016.
- Manny Jules, Chief Commissioner, First Nations Tax Commission. Fashioning a New Fiscal Relationship: The Importance of Taxation. Mar 23, 2016.
- Natan Obed, President, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Addressing Food Security for Inuit/What Does it Mean to Engage with Inuit? Feb 9, 2016.
- Brenda MacDougall, University of Ottawa. Politicization of Métis Buffalo Hunters: Writing Petitions in the Late 19th Century. Jan 21, 2016.
- Mike Degagne, President, Nipissing University. Aboriginal Post-Secondary Education: A Critical Look at Recommendations of the TRC. Nov 20, 2015.
- Chris Penney, AANDC. The Community Well-Being Index: Report on Trends in First Nation and Inuit Communities, 1981-2011. Oct 21, 2015.
- Maryanne Pearce, PhD. Quantifying Tears: Documenting Cases of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada. Sept 15, 2015.
- Ryan Walker and Loleen Berdahl, University of Saskatchewan. Exploring Indigenous Urbanism in Canadian Cities. June 3, 2015.
- Jason Leblanc, Executive Director, Tungasuvvingat Inuit. Inuit in Ontario and Tungasuvvingat Inuit. May 22, 2015.
- Tim Brodhead, Canadians for a New Partnership. How Can We Better Include First Nations, Métis and Inuit in the Canadian Family? Apr 21, 2015.
- Christopher Alcantara, Wilfrid Laurier University. Coordinating Communities: Indigenous-Local Intergovernmental Partnerships in Canada. Feb 12, 2015.
- Karihwakeron Tim Thompson, First Nations Educator and Policy Advisor. First Nations Education and the Reconciliation Imperative. Jan 15, 2015.
- Harvey McCue (Waubageshig), First Nations Educator. A Call to Action: Potential Solutions in First Nations Education. Dec 4, 2014.
- Andrew Beynon, Community Opportunities Branch, AANDC. Recent Developments in Community Economic Development. Nov 19, 2014.
- Betty Ann Lavallée, National Chief, Congress of Aboriginal Peoples. Canada's Challenges: Indigenous Solutions. Nov 4, 2014.
- Dal Brodhead, New Economy Development Group. First Nations and Resource Projects: Invest in Relationships, Or Else. Sept 29, 2014
- Chief Robert Joseph, Reconciliation Canada. Reconciliation: Why Should Canadians Care? June 20, 2014.
- Monette Maillet, Valerie Phillips, Canadian Human Rights Commission. Human Rights and Aboriginal Peoples: A Case for Engagement. May 26, 2014.
- Tim Leonard, Statistics Canada. The 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey: Initial Findings. April 10, 2014.
For a list of sessions and presentations prior to April 2014, please contact the organizers.